Monday, June 3, 2013

Bleach T-Shirt DIY

Been wanting to try this one out for a while and finally did.

I took a design and used an exacto-knife to cut it into a clear adhesive plastic (the type you buy at the dollar store to protect books). I ended up with two copies of the design, a negative and a positive cut-outs.

So I put one on a red shirt and the other on a blue shirt.





 
The blue shirt I just wanted the image bleached so I used cling wrap over the rest of the material to prevent any unwanted marks. The red shirt I was trying to be more artistic with and bleach all around leave the design red.
 
Remember - Where the plastic is will REMAIN that colour, and the bleacj will change the rest.
Think backwards, it helps.
 
I placed old newspaper between the front and back of the shirts to prevent the bleach from soaking through.
 

 
 
Using a small spray bottle (the type in dollar store travel kits) I sprayed bleach on the shirts, slowly over time to see them develop.
 
TIP - Use gloves this is Bleach.
Also use paper towel to dab away extra bleach that settles on the non absorbing plastic to prevent drip marks.
 
This was the end result.
 

 
 
I worked the blue shirt a bit by cutting it and braiding the sides, and making it something I would wear.
 
 
Things I would change:
I wish the spray bottle was a more even mist, but I couldn't prevent the small dotting.
Also i would use less bleach on the red shirt, next time I won't do it outside on a sunny day because it was hard to see how much the bleach had developed.
 
All I all I think it was a great outcome though!
 
 
 

2 comments: